Monday 30 July 2012

My Weekend in Retro Specs v.3

Hello and happy Monday! 

I had quite an eventful couple of days, which is why I slacked so hard on responding to comments (all caught up now!), reading blogs, and all that good stuff.  This was a weekend of determination and celebration, people! 

I apologize in advance for the text heavy nature of this post. I left my nice camera at home and took it all in in the moment this weekend (okay and some iPhone snaps too!)

I headed into Toronto this weekend, as my very dear childhood best friend had her bachelorette party.  I can't state enough how totally wigged out I was over this, and really, still am.  The girl I was sewn-at-the-hip to for seven years is getting hitched.  It blows my mind.  It blows my mind even more since we haven't managed to get face to face for like... six years...
I was so incredibly happy to be invited along to celebrate, because man, what an incredible milestone, and what an incredible lady she's become.  We're lucky in that though we haven't lived close enough together to manage to see each other on the regular in years (especially through university and doubly so now), I find it just as easy to talk to her as it was when we were 11 years old being major dorks together.  I'm so glad she's got a major-dork dude to nerd out with for the rest of their lives :). I actually got their wedding invitation in the mail today, and damn if that sucker doesn't have a TARDIS on it.  Nerd love, guys.  It's the best kind.

Since I knew that the bachelorette party would involve a big commute, I didn't fill the rest of the day with many social engagements (well, the whole weekend was pretty quiet socially, actually!). I managed to have some tea with my Mum, and check out a vintage/second hand shop that recently opened in the neighbourhood, where we both found some treasures.  If you're in Toronto, check out Gypsy on St.Clair west, it's a total goldmine and it's reasonably priced too! The weekend contained a lot of shopping actually, as I have a function on Wednesday that I had to purchase a special outfit for.  You can expect a write up and photographic evidence later this week! 

Vintage finds from the St. Lawrence Market

Sunday included a greasy spoon brekkie with my Dad, step-mom, brother and sister, a trip to the Art Gallery of Ontario (aka the AGO), some vintage shopping, and finally getting to see The Amazing Spider-Man.  Not too shabby! We went to the AGO specifically for the Picasso exhibit, whom I had quite the obsession with as a child.  Yesterday really reaffirmed for me that his cubist period is totally my favourite! There were so many inspiring pieces, and seeing them all with a non-artist was so fun; Ephraim claims that my insights into his work really affected how he viewed the exhibit.  Is there anything better to hear than thatWe spent the whole day downtown, with a brief stop at the St.Lawrence Antique Market, where I wasted no time in buying a scarab beetle ring, new vintage shades, and a gift for my Mum (haha you'll have to wait till December! Cruel, I know!).  Neither of us were particularly enthused with Spider-Man, but it had to be seen.  While Batman is my superhero (err hero-philanthropist?), Spiderman is Ephraim's, so it really wasn't a film we could miss.  And I do like me some Emma Stone. 

How were your weekends? Did any of you get to celebrate a milestone in a loved ones life, or have the opportunity to learn more about a hero of yours? Or, you know, just veg out and watch too much Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Yeah, weekends are the best!  

--Erin

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun weekend! It is so crazy when stuff changes in friendships- like marriage and babies. BUT... there are some of those friendships that can make it through everything and still feel the same and that's the best! I just talked to a college friend this weekend on the phone and we haven't seen each other in 10 years but our talks always feel like we hang out every week :)


    I love the name of this weekly feature, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like that's the mark of the great friendships. You can go years without seeing each other, or even so long without talking, but you meet up and somehow though your tastes have changed, you still have all the same common interests. It's like you just see things the same way, and there's no changing that. Something special, to be sure!

      Haha I'm glad you like the name! I am a sucker for puns. Like, in the worst (BEST) way!

      --Erin

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love answering questions (comments, concerns, the works!) so check back sometime for a reply! :)