Monday 26 November 2012

Ships Ahoy: Navy White and Red Life Preserver Print


*** First, a quick notice.  I have made the blog more narrow for easier viewing for those with smaller screens.  All images can be clicked to enlarge.  I am going through the archives to do a rough resize, but it will take some time.  Please leave a comment if you see a particularly egregious formatting error. Thanks for your patience!***

I finally took the plunge and dyed my hair dark! I have always envied those girls with dark beautiful auburn hair, and now I walk among them. I was going on two years since my last professional haircut, which is obviously really long overdue. I can't believe how light my hair feels. Or how confident I feel to style it! Turns out I had no idea what to do with my hair simply because there was too much of it to really do anything with. Well, unless I wanted a style evocative of the trends of the Victorian lady, which, no. Point is, I am so so happy with my new hair. The cut and colour look amazing with my new frames (not pictured, I am taking them to get my prescription put in next weekend), and I am really pumped to do a bit of retro styling in the coming weeks. Exciting times, friends! Okay enough blabber, more glamour. (HAH)
It was snowing and I was FREEZING
I picked this dress up from the Goodwill last week, and took a bit of a gamble on it. I basically had to be in and out of the store pretty quick, so I bought it without trying it on. It's a petite 10, neither of which are sizes I wear, but it actually worked out pretty perfectly! To be fair, some of that may be because I can cinch the waist in with that amazing self-fabric belt, but all in all I'm calling this a win. And I'm glad it worked out, because thrifting is getting expensive! All the dresses I saw at the Goodwill were marked at $10 (well, $9.99 to fit in with their weird palindrome pricing). It's not so easy to pick up whatever looks interesting anymore, but on the same note, my closet is way too full already. I suppose I'll have to learn to be more picky, hard as it may be! Have you found thrifting in your town to be becoming more costly, too?

It has pockets!
The Deets
Nautical Print Dress: Thrifted
Red Tights: Topshop
White Leather Ankle Boots: Vintage
Bracelet: Betsey Johnson (gift)

What hair colour have you always wanted to try, but never worked up the nerve? Give it a shot, it's only hair!!

--Erin




14 comments:

  1. Yowzas! You look GORGEOUS with your new hair!!! Seriously: beautiful! Nice work on the nautical dress! I hear ya on the thrift shop prices. I saw a coat for $25 yesterday and I was like, really?! It's making it really difficult! I have to travel WAY outside of the city in order to find bargains! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, you would have a fit if I told you how much I paid for my swing coat... but it's so beautiful I had to have it (and I even only paid half of the original price...eep!). It's getting crazy out there, but then I understand paying a premium at a shop that is very well curated. But the hunt at the thrift store is what I live for :D.

      Delete
  2. I find the national chains of charity shops are getting a lot pricier - they're the ones with fancy branding and shop fittings to pay for, I guess... The little local stores are generally still as cheap as ever around here (Scotland).

    I've dyed my hair sooooo many different colours in the past but I always come back to ginger. It feels like me. I don't feel myself when I go back to my natural shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how we can change a part of our identity with our hair? I think that's so wild.
      Here in Canada the only thrift stores are national chains, and they have been creeping their prices up and up for years. These days, I rather give my money to Goodwill, as it's tax free, and the money is actually going to charity (besides operating costs), and not into people's pockets. Plus they don't advertise crazy prejudices like the salvation army. It's tougher and tougher to find a store I feel good about giving my money.

      Delete
  3. oh the auburn hair is gorgeous on you!! i actually think it suits you better. i've had every hair color and cut under the sun, and i have to say red was my absolute favorite. one cut i'm dying to try though is a pixie cut. my boyfriend claims he'd disown me if i did that though haha, i'm pretty sure i'm just gonna go ahead and toe the line soon though ;)

    and i LOVE what you're wearing!! That dress is gorgeous, and pairing it with red tights was the perfect touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am inclined to agree, this colour feels very right!

      Oh DO IT! Go for the pixie cut! I actually buzzed my head when I started high school, and have been trying various lengths since then. I didn't love it being so short then, but I think it would suit my face better now. I plan on chopping it all off again some day! It's fun to do something drastic, and at the end of it all, it's only hair and it grows back!

      Delete
  4. you look stunning. Am loving the hair too :)

    http://enidtwiglet.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new hair! It looks so shiny and bouncy! Jealous!! Seriously though you look totally stunning :) I was blonde for about 14 years, and finally this year took the plunge to go back to my natural colour which is a similar one to yours now, dark brown / auburn, and I love it! Plus no more endless highlighting / dark roots and "fried" hair!! Go Brunettes / Auburn ladies!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! The fried hair thing was one of the big reasons I used Henna to dye my hair for several years, I loved that it was colour and conditioner (and added body, not that I needed it) all in one, and all made from plant matter! I got a serious talking to about how I shouldn't use henna and how it would interfere with the colour, but as I last dyed with henna 2 months ago and this colour took just fine, I think I will be going back to henna to do upkeep and only go chemical when I want a bigger change (plus henna is WAY cheaper! $8 a box!).

      Delete
  6. Oh wow! You and your hair just look so gorgeous!!!!! Seriously, your hair looks wonderful! And that dress was such a lucky find! I love when you get lucky like that.

    xx Cait

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hair looks amazing! Love the colour. Outfit is lovely too!

    www.hayleyeszti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. STUNNER STUNNER STUNNER! Your hair is absolutely flawless! Loving the colour, the style, all of it...great choice, cheers for having balls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hair looks AMAZING! I've always loved it but this really suits you! I love the dress, and I know what you mean about Goodwill's prices! I actually haven't been going there much because I have to really deliberate if I want something instead of just throwing all the "maybe"s in the cart. I even tweeted about it once because they had a Forever 21 jacket there for like $20 and I thought that was ridiculous. I didn't include an @goodwill but they called me out on it (guess they had a name search on) :) You look pretty, pretty, pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dress is beautiful! What a great fit.

    <3 Melissa
    wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love answering questions (comments, concerns, the works!) so check back sometime for a reply! :)