Monday 13 May 2013

Springtime at the Beach

Niagara on the Lake isn't exactly known for its beaches.  We don't have big white sandy expanses, no real spot to sunbathe to speak of, and people don't tend to get into the water.  Yet, this town has a few small, rocky beaches that are frequented by dog walkers and bonfire makers.  It can be a nice quiet spot to get away - if you can get far enough from the tourists.  The beach I went to one day after work last week was devoid of anyone who was just passing through.  For an hour or so I walked along, listened to seagulls, dug in the sand, and took pictures of the blossoms on this amazing tree.  It wasn't much of a beach experience, I suppose, but it was tranquil and regenerative all the same.  Plus, I got some of my best flower photos yet! One of these pictures might already be my computer desktop background... the white on the bright blue sky just makes me so happy.  I hope I can capture the blossoms on a few other trees around town before they're all gone!
I really love that I can walk down to the shoreline in NotL and see Toronto, across lake Ontario.  I grew up in Toronto, and working in NotL has been the longest time I've ever been away!  It still feels like home, though, and I'm so glad I get to visit as frequently as I do.
This trip to the beach had me looking for some beach glass for the first time, after seeing the impressively large and shockingly beautiful collection of sea glass found by Kaylah of The Dainty Squid.  I only found brown and green glass, but did a lot better than I expected to, and having a "mission" while at the beach was really pleasant.  I can be a bit of a magpie, so I tended to spot larger bits of shells before I'd come across a piece of glass.  I have some nice jars laying around at home, and I think it'll look quite sweet to have a jar filled up from beach treasures I continue to collect from NotL's beaches! There's a long summer ahead, after all. 
I don't normally alter the colour of photos so much, but it looked like a cherry tree all warmed up.  So delicate.
Thank you everyone for your birthday wishes! Yesterday was a lovely, low-key day. I hit up all the thrift spots in St. Catharines, and found some really great stuff, including a tin cup for my milkshake maker (FINALLY! All the milkshakes shall be mine, this summer!) and a Hawaiian muumuu in fluorescent colours. I also went to see the new Iron Man movie, and loved it! I think this year is going to be a good one, as strange as it seems to say that I am in my "mid-twenties".  It's going to be a big year for change, so I think an ever-so-popular blogger-style goals list is in order.  That, and a deep, deep breath.

--Erin

12 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday!

    I love these photos, they are so bright and full of spring colors. I love seeing photos from all over Canada, I can't wait to travel coast to coast one day.

    Cheers,
    Alli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      And I agree, this country is so diverse in its landscapes! I'd love to see more of it (I've only ever been in Ontario and Quebec in our country, and that's pretty sad!)

      Delete
  2. Some gorgeous photos of flowers Erin! Also - I adore sea glass, it reminds me of summers at the jersey shore where I used to always find some. I never find any in florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yelle! I'm looking forward to trouncing the hell out of last year's flower photos, haha! Mad skills, yo... :P

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous pictures! Super impressed you got the skyline. I suppose that's the difference between phones and real cameras with real glass!

    Makes me wanna head down to the east end and our beaches. Someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah I BARELY got the skyline! Good thing the CN Tower is so recognizable, even as a grey blur. Guess I'm going to have to get something a bit bigger than a 50mm one of these days...

      Delete
  4. Those pictures are so lovely. I really miss the ocean. Growing up on the Atlantic and then moving to a land lock state has been really hard. I used to go to the beach every day after work and to study during school. It was so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so wonderful. I've only ever been near the ocean a handful of times, and I have never actually touched the water. How sad is that? Lakes all up in hurr, though

      Delete
  5. I think, at 24, you're still in your early 20's...when you hit 25, it's your mid-20's, and at 26 and beyond, it's late-20's (which is likely a source of stress for your brother)...so, consider yourself lucky enough to say you're just in your early 20's!

    The photo of you on Instagram from the Guys and Dolls opening...that sequined dress looks awfully familiar...is it what I think it is? You look gorgeous, btw.

    L.M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like it's more fair to break it up into chunks of 3-4 years each, or else nobody is really mid-20's for more than a few months, really. And then, well, what's the point of "generalizing" like that?
      Thanks again for the dress, mum!! I always find it shocking when we can wear the same things, 5" height difference and all!

      Delete
  6. What a perfect place to live! I really wish I lived near water and so close to what I imagine being a really amazing city. Happy belated birthday!! You have the same birthday as my husband, he never wants to celebrate and after 10 years I have finally started to listen so the day was very low key. Pretty pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is absolutely amazing w/ the spring blossoms and the sea! and so funny about beach glass... we found a ton of it everywhere in a puerto rican beach a bit ago and it was not the pretty kind like this but the kind that cut J's hand. glad you enjoyed your bday! did you turn 25?
    My blog: Cuddly Cacti
    My E-Shop: Mitla Moda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love answering questions (comments, concerns, the works!) so check back sometime for a reply! :)